Friday, September 18, 2009

Eurasian? How about ALL Asian?




Dear Hollywood,

I am a frequent traveller of the New York City Subway system. Because it's always SO timely, I have quiet a bit of time to check out the new billboards on the walls at and I noticed an ad for a new medical drama (because there aren't enough of those out there) featuring three individuals- a white male, a white female and HOLY CRAP IS THAT AN ASIAN MAN? Not quite. I went home and did a little research and it turns out he's only half. Mr. Daniel Henny is only half Korean. Basically show stars two and a half white people. And not to knock Mr. Henny's looks, because he is a handsome man no doubt, but when is Hollywood finally going to take that leap of faith and let one of my fine looking 100% Asian brothers other than Hollywood's sweetheart John Cho star in one of your TV shows? When I ask? When?

Regards,

Quiet Asian Man

3 comments:

  1. It's just too difficult for Hollywood to accept a 100% asian man as 1st lead or 2nd lead. I really wish I could name what their difficulties are. I've not seen many good 100% asian roles other than Sulu in the old Star Trek, and Hiro in Heroes. So if Hollywood REALLY has no choice but to choose an Asian for a prominent acting role, they'll choose the Japanese. Quiet Asian Man, Do you think this reflects real life? That even amongst Asians, Japanese are the "preferred Asians" in America? lol I never realised that until I was typing this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read recently that hollywood polled some viewers and when asked.. most people, even asians(talk about self hate), said they were not comfortable seeing an asian-american in a leading role. Hollywood has given the perception that all asian americans are immigrants. The problem is.. when hollywood does put an asian in a leading role, they are usually imported from the Far East.

    Does this reflect real life? Probably not (at least where I live it doesn't) But a lot of asians I know are as american as anyone in this country. The sad thing is.. the media has built of stereotypes that viewers have come to adopt weather they'd like to admit it or not.

    ReplyDelete